Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

My ceiling box has a red, black, and wire coming out of it,

Customer Question
My ceiling box has...

My ceiling box has a red, black, and white wire coming out of it, But the fan only has a black and white. What do I do with the red wire?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Just now

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

There is no light on the fan

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Electrical
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/30/2017
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 6 months ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Is there a wall switch that controls the ceiling box? If so, how many wires and the wire colors that are terminated to the switch?

there is, it has 3 wires as well, a black a black with tape and red

Thanks for the replies.

1) Sounds like the switch is a dual switch for a ceiling fan and a light kit, correct?

2) If a dual switch fan/light combo, what wire color is terminated to the switch fan speed control? Will either be a black or a red wire?

No, there is no light kit on this fan, just the fan.
when tested in the ceiling, both the red and black test hot

1) I understand that. I'm trying to figure out if the wall switch is a dual switch that can control both the fan speeds and a light kit?

2) Send me a picture of the wall switch showing the exterior of the switch and another pic of the switch backed out from the wall box so I can see the wire color terminations on the switch?

1) Looks like 2 different switches, is that correct? If 2 switches, what does the other switch control?

2) Does the fan have pull chains? Do you want the fan to be turned ON/OFF with the wall switch or the pull chains?

3) Using your meter, test the ceiling wires and kill power to each switch one at a time. Which ceiling wire goes dead after turning off the switch? Does the other ceiling wire constantly stay hot when the switches are turned OFF?

Switch in right is for recessed lighting. Fan is operated by a remote, no pull string.
Wires stay hot when switch is turned off.

Thanks for confirming.

1) One of the ceiling wires red or black should then be controlled by the left switch. Most likely it is the red wire and the black wire is always hot. This is the most common setup.

2) If not wanting to use the left switch, then cap off the ceiling red with a wire nut and splice the fan black to the ceiling black. Splice the fan white to the ceiling white.

Let me know if working OK and we can take it from there.........Thanks...........Kevin:)

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

i want to switch to control the fan, but there is no red in the fan? And what do you do with the extra wire that’s in the ceiling??

1) Then splice the ceiling switched red to the fan black. Cap off the ceiling house black with a wire nut as it will not be used.

1) Were you able to get the fan working?

No, it’s not.

1) What is the problem?

If I knew what the problem was I wouldn’t be asking for help here. Not trying to be a smart ass but it just won’t turn on, power is on, wires tested and it just doesn’t work.

1) Do you have a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester (a contact type) or a multimeter? If so, test the red ceiling wire to a white ceiling neutral. Does the red show show voltage when the switch is ON and 0 volts when the wall switch is OFF?