Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have a few questions about changing the outlet that is…

Good Morning, KevinI have a...
Good Morning, KevinI have a few questions about changing the outlet that is controlled by a wall switch. I would like the switch to control a different outlet - are you available for few questions.
McKinley (you helped me a few months ago with my living room having no electricity)
12/30/2017
Sam I
Sam I, Electrician
Hello it looks like Kevin was not available this morning, so this question was placed in the open board. Can I help you or would you like to continue to wait for Kevin?
I am very sorry....we have a f**kin snow fall here and I have been shoveling snow for hours. Here is my question :
Kevin,

I have some questions for you.  Currently I have a wall switch that controls a wall outlet on the right side of the room.  I would like to have the wall switch control a wall outlet on the left side of the room. 

The outlet that I would like to have controlled by the switch currently has an outlet with 8 back stab holes in it.  There are 6 white wires and 6 black wires and 1 ground wire connected to this outlet.  (Pictures attached)  The wiring configuration is a little confusing to me.  Could you review these photos and let me know which wires may go to the wall switch and how they should be configured?
Sam there are 5 pictures, I would like to send you of the outlets that are driving me crazy....give me a few minutes to locate the pictues so I can upload them....I will definitely be done by 12:45 - I will email when I have uploaded the 5 th one.Thank you / Mack
Ok
Sam, thank you for that option....right now I can not talk and honestly I don't $ 24 available after Christmas....I am getting ready to send you the pictures....please take a look
Thank you - Mack
Will do. That phone call offer is automated. No need to reply to me.
Sam, I have just added the picture of the back of outlet. The outlet that I would like to have controlled by the switch currently has an outlet with 8 back stab holes in it.  There are 6 white wires and 6 black wires and 1 ground wire connected to this outlet.  (Pictures attached)  The wiring configuration is a little confusing to me.  Could you review these photos and let me know which wires may go to the wall switch and how they should be configured? CORRECTION...there was only 1 picture, not 5 as I initially told you .
Thank you
Mack
Ok I will look this over.

OK, sorry for the delay. It's crazy here today.

Unfortunately this will not work with your existing wiring. You would have to run another romex cable from your light switch location to the outlet you want to control. The switched wire comes into the box that currently has the switched outlet and in order to switch another outlet that wire would have to be re-routed or as I said a new one run from the switch to the outlet that you now want to be switched.

After that you would need to install another receptacle at the old location and cap off the wires that went to the switched part.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Do you have any more questions?

Sorry Sam, I fell asleep : one more issue I have a question about.All of the outlets in the Living Room stopped working at the same time. Two months later they came back on, and then they went back off, and have been off ever sense.
I have replaced all 7 outlets with new outlets, using the side screws (not the back stabs) but still none of them are working.
The circuit breaker has also been replaced.
Oddly enough, the following outlets & lights are on the same circuit.
Living Room outlets (7 total) NOT WORKING
Dining Room Chandelier IS WORKING
Outside Patio Light IS WORKING
I believe there is an OPEN NEUTRAL, and have double checked all of the outlets and light fixtures on that circuit, but have been unable to locate it.
QUESTION: Not sure which direction the circuit runs from the breaker box. Is it…….
from the circuit breaker to the 1st Non Working outlet, there are 7 nonworking outlets, and then the Dining Room chandelier (working) AND the Outside Patio Light (working) or is it
from the circuit breaker box to the 1st Working item (opposite direction) in which case there is the Outside Patio light (working), then the Dining Room Chandelier (working) then 7 non working outlets in the Living Room.
ANY SUGGESTIONS/RECOMMENDATIONS?

Hello, no problem on the delayed response. Just Answer policy for additional questions beyond the scope of the original is that you must either open a new question or purchase a premium service (in this case "Continued Guidance with You DIY Project") for an additional cost. Would you like me to answer this question for $16 or would you like to open a new question? Also, if I answered your original question to your satisfaction, please leave me a rating from 3 to 5 stars so I can get credit for answering it with Just Answer.

Sam I
Sam I, Electrician
Sam I
Sam I
Sam I, Electrician