Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have no power registering at my light switch, when I turn…

Customer Question
I have no power...

I have no power registering at my light switch, when I turn the breaker off and on there is also no power; verified with a voltage tester. I don't see any issues with the connections in the box where the switch is located. How can I verify the circuit breaker is working?

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?

Home was built in 70s. No electrican has been consulted yet.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

It depends on how difficult the repair would be for this issue. I would like to see if I could do it myself.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The control panel for this also controls an outside light, a light in the living area. There is no ground.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Electrical
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/30/2017
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 3 months ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

Thanks Nike
Mike*

To troubleshoot the issue you'll need a 2 wire voltage tester. Do you have one?

No I do not have one at the moments but can run over to the hardware store and get one

When you get one I suggest a Volt/Con type. We can continue when you have it.

I only have the one that beeps when there is voltage present

Not good for other than sending voltage in the area. Can't test circuits. You need a 2 wire tester

Ok. I will get one first thing in the morning.

Very good, I'll be online all day.

I purchased a digitally multimeter, placed it on the breaker, this is a double pole and both were at 120 volts. Still no electricity at the light switch

You need to test a double pole breaker pole to pole. It should read 240V.

Pole to pole reading is 240

Test all single pole breakers to ground to make sure they all have voltage.

They all have voltage

OK, next thing is to check all receptacles in the area for voltage hot to neutral and if any don't read, test hot to ground. Having voltage at the breaker you must have a bad connection on the circuit. If you find any receptacle without voltage reading hot to neutral I give you directions on the next step.

this circuit covers a furnace and two light switches. I don't have power at the light switch and the furnace electrical outlet works. Could the furnace be stopping the power from going to the electrical switches?

The circuit is open ahead of the lights. It could be in the switch boxes if connections power other outlets or in any point ahead of the switches where there are connections. You need to follow the circuit back checking possible breaks in connection.

Unfortunately circuit directories at the panel are worthless. They only allow the installer to comply with code. A circuit map is what I recomend. A sheet of paper per floor, all receptacle, lights and equipment outlets shown, flipping breakers with the breaker number next to the outlet symbol. This shows the path of all circuits and makes troubleshooting much easier. Dead outlets or lights have the problem either at the affected outlet or a working outlet ahead of it.

I do not believe this connection covers any other outlets. When I turn the circuit off the only electric that goes off is the switches
That makes sense. I should probably start a map as I just bought this place.

What colors are the wires on the switch?

The connection on the right with wires to the switch and dimmer is the hot with. Remove the wirenut and test the lead wire for voltage. If no voltage you'll need to see where the circuit comes from for the problem.

Yea I tested that wire earlier and there is nothing registering. I guess I need to go up into the attic to find out what's going on.

Testing exposed cables with your non contact tester may help.

Yeah I will do that

Good luck.

Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician