Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Need to know brand name components of the connection of an…

Customer Question
Need to know brand...

Need to know brand name components of the connection of an inverter to the electric panel in solar?

Contractor's Assistant: Have you talked to a solar panel professional about this?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

A diagram will help

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Electrical
I have a system with solar panels, batteries, charge controller and inverter. I wish to connect these system to the house, and need to know the components that are missing and the installation, to reduce the electric bill and have power when an outage occurs.
Electrician: George Smith, Master Electrician replied 6 months ago
George Smith
George Smith, Master Electrician
I this is George let me help you! Have you 'received a solution for your question?
No I have not. Let me tell you that I have 1000 w o panels, 400 amps of batteries and 2000w inverter
Do you have any particular equipment manufacture in mind?
No I don’t, but the system has to be cost effective
Give me a sometime and I'll figure it out!
Do not know what is "a sometime"?

I just back back let me look?

I'll have to opt out !

Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 6 months ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Will the PV application be grid tied or a standalone system? If a grid tied system, you will also need an automatic transfer switch.

2) You need fused or a circuit breaker disconnect switch at the exterior of the home located immediately after the PV panels and upstream of the Charge Controller.

3) You also require a fused or circuit breaker AC disconnect switch located immediately after the inverter. If the inverter is 240 volts, the disco switch must be a double pole type and simultaneously disconnect both of the hot phases from the inverter.

4) Square-D is one of the leaders in the solar industry for disconnect switches. Eaton Cutler-Hammer is another recommended brand for the disco switches.

5) The metal frames of the PV panels need to be bonded together with an equipment grounding conductor. No splices allowed for the panel bonding....ie...... one contiguous run of ground wire. If the PV metal frames are located a far enough distance from the exterior meter ground rod, then you will require an 8 foot ground rod installed near the PV panels and then bonded to the exterior meter ground rod.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

1) The DC disco switch must be installed at the exterior of the home and readily accessible to the local fire department. The switch must be properly labeled as "PV or Solar Panel Disconnect".

Does that help to answer your questions?

I need a simple complete diagram, also a list of the missing equipment with details and suggested vendor names and with more or less prices.
As requested on my original question I am not sure if it is going to be grid on or off. I want the system to reduce my power bill by using the sun and/or the batteries and the system to be able to come on when the power goes off.

I will opt out of the question as I don't have ample time to do all of the necessary research.

Your question will be placed back to the open board. Perhaps another expert can better assist you.

No need to reply back to me. You will be notified once your question is picked up by another expert.