Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

Installing a ceiling fan with a remote, only one switch,

Customer Question
Installing a ceiling fan...

Installing a ceiling fan with a remote, only one switch, wiring in the ceiling has black, red, white and ground, how do I wire this? When I disconnect the red and hook up the black, the fan works but not the remote, light or switch. When I connect the red and disconnect black the switch and fan works, but the remote and light do not.

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?

House was built in 2010, fan is brand new, no I have not consulted an electrician, this is why I am on this chat

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Need to know how to wire the fan properly, that is it

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Electrical
12/29/2017
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 1 month ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

Having only one switch, only one wire in the ceiling is controlled by the switch. Your remote only needs a connection to one wire for power along with a neutral. The other wires on your receiver connect to fan wires black to black, blue to blue, white to white.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello, I already stated in my initial question that I have done that and the fan works, but the switch, remote and light does not.

The receiver in the canopy has 5 wires

Black and White on one end for connection to power.

Black, blue and white for connection to fan leads.

If connected.properly and there is no control, the unit either needs dip switches on remote and receiver to be set the same. Some units only have dip switches in the remote. If so, a sequence of steps is required for them to mate.Is the receiver connected as stated?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
you are correct with the wiring. And yes, we have checked the dip switches and they match perfectly, there is no need according to the manufacturers instructions to "mate" them as long as their codes are the same, which they are. OK, for both tries that we have done, receiver wires (blue, black and white) were connected to the fan, and then the white to the white of the house and the black we tried one way to red and the other to black. Does that help explain if we did something wrong?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
From your first response, it seems we have done it that way with no luck
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the switch has one red wire and one black wire

You may have a bad connection at one of the wirenuts. The strips on the small wire are usually.not long enough. The should be stripped so that the lead the house wires into the wirenut. Check them to eliminate that possibility

The fan having pullchain switches needs to have the pullchains set to the highest position to allow remote to have a full range to control

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK, checked all the wires and they are fully connected and the fan is working but the switch does not turn the fan on or off, it just is on all the time, it can be turned off by the remote, but we would like to be able to turn it on and off with the switch. Any suggestions?

Open the switch box and give me the count and colors of the wires in the box and on the switch.

Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician