Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

What size wire do I need to run to a storage building that…

Customer Question
What size wire do...

What size wire do I need to run to a storage building that is 200 feet from my home electrical panel if I wish to put a 40 or 50 amp breaker at the storage building?

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?

My home was built in 2002, but there will need to be new wire to the new storage building. I have not contracted with a electrician yet as I am trying to determine the wire cost to decide if this is something I want to move forward with.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Electrical
12/28/2017
Electrician: Leamon Rollo, Electrician replied 1 month ago
Leamon Rollo
Leamon Rollo, Electrician
Good afternoon, my name is ***** ***** I am going to try to assist you. Will you be putting the wire in pipe or direct bury?
1 conductors per phase utilizing a #4 Copper conductor will limit the voltage drop to 2.40% or less when supplying 50.0 amps for 200 feet on a 240 volt system.
For Engineering Information Only:
70.0 Amps Rated ampacity of selected conductor
0.2957 Ohms Resistance (Ohms per 1000 feet)
0.048 Ohms Reactance (Ohms per 1000 feet)
7.199999999999999 volts maximum allowable voltage drop at 3%
5.741. Actual voltage drop loss at 2.40% for the circuit
0.9 Power Factor
This is 3 #4 copper & 1 # 8 green
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Direct bury. It is in a rural area. I want a couple lights in the building (20 x 24) and three small wood working tools all 15 amp or less.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This will be a 110 system.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Could I get by with 40 amps. I will only be using one tool at a time?
1 conductors per phase utilizing a #2 Aluminum conductor will limit the voltage drop to 2.45% or less when supplying 50.0 amps for 200 feet on a 240 volt system.
For Engineering Information Only:
75.0 Amps Rated ampacity of selected conductor
0.3042 Ohms Resistance (Ohms per 1000 feet)
0.045 Ohms Reactance (Ohms per 1000 feet)
5.868. Actual voltage drop loss at 2.45% for the circuit
0.9 Power FactorThis is 2-2-2-4 aluminum direct bury. It will be the least expensive. Both this and the copper will result in 50 Amp with little to no voltage drop.
I can recalculate at 110 but if you use 240 volt which is 2 legs of 110 it will be smaller wire
If it is calculated at 110 volts at 200 feet at 40 amps it will be 1/0-1/0-#4 which is 2 sizes bigger, harder to get under lugs and more expensive than the 240 volt method.
Is there anything else I can help you with?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No. Thanks
Thank you and please give me a rating if you’re happy with my service. Have a safe New Years.
Leamon Rollo
Leamon Rollo
Leamon Rollo, Electrician