Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

The circuit breaker hasn’t popped but in living room non of…

Customer Question
The circuit breaker hasn’t...

The circuit breaker hasn’t popped but in living room non of the 4 outlets are working. Checked the 4 plugs for any signs of loose wires or spark marks. ? What’s next?

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?

I bought the hous 10 yrs ago and don’t know? Have not yet

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Is there anyway to check something first no money

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Electrical
12/28/2017
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 7 months ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC General Class License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Most likely, there is a loose wire termination or a loose wire splice in one of the boxes on the circuit.

2) For starters, you can try the Wiggle Procedure shown in the link below:

3) If the Wiggle Procedure does not identify the problem receptacle, you will need either a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester (a contact type) or a multimeter to take a few voltage measurements. The tester will confirm if the problem is a hot or a neutral wire issue. Once you know the cause of the problem, then you can start to troubleshoot the problem using the tester and isolating the circuit.

1) Attached in the link below is a diagram to take voltage measurements at a few of the receptacles: The 3 following measurements will determine the problem wire:

A) Hot to Neutral

B) Hot to Ground

C) Neutral to Ground

A multimeter is recommended to obtain measurements. A meter with a built-in audible continuity tester is also recommended for troubleshooting purposes.

I want a refund this did not work
Is this a scam