Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I am trying to install a light that has and blue wires. In…

Customer Question
Hi! I am...

Hi! I am trying to install a light that has brown and blue wires. In the home wiring I have white, purple and blue. Can you help me understand which colors to connect? Thanks so much

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?

The home is 13 yrs old, the light is brand new. No consultation with an electrician yet

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Electrical
12/27/2017
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 4 months ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Can you provide me with the manufacturer name and model number of the light?

2) Was the light manufactured and purchased in the United States?

3) How many wires and the wire colors that are terminated to the wall switch?

4) Was there a previously installed light at the light box? If so, what house wire colors were spliced to the previous light fixture?

5) Is the new light labeled as 120 or 240 volts?

Mike, Master Electrician