Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

Take a look at these LED lights - - They are 9W - they have…

Please take a look at...
Please take a look at these LED lights - https://goo.gl/4YS3ak - They are 9W - they have a small LED driver with lower gauge wiring (around 18-22 gauge) that gets connected via romex connectors into a handy junction box that gets connected to the your standard 12/2 wiring. The handy box is shut.
1. Is this device required to be UL or ETL listed in NYC for residential application?
2. Is it typically a requirement and common place for this low voltage driver to be UL or ETL listed for the purposes of insurance or when they are generally installed around the USA? I.E. would an insurance company look any differently at a low voltage item vs a standard light fixture. Obviously, if one used a phone charger that wasn't UL listed, I would find it hard to believe that insurance company deny a claim because they felt it was an unsafe product although I have no experience in this area to make this claim
3. Is it safe to install these devices - I have about 200 of them installed and basically my questions stems from the fact that I want to know if I should consider purchasing 200 UL listed ones and replacing them or am I wasting time and money by doing that.
12/26/2017
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Per the National Electrical Code, all electrical products are required to be listed by an approved laboratory testing agency such as UL or ETL. Refer to NEC Article 100 (Definitions) under "Listed"

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Would you recommend replacing the 200 that are only CE and ROHS - is that the right thing to do

1) That all depends upon the Authority Having Jurisdiction......ie.... the local electrical inspector. Most inspectors in the United States will recognize and approve "UL" and "ETL" listed electrical products.

However, not all inspectors will recognize "CE" and/or "ROHS" listed products if installed in the United States. Keep in mind, that the local electrical inspector always has the final say-so as to what is approved or not. Local electrical codes can always take precedence above the National Electrical Code.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can you tell me what NYC would require. There will NOT be an inspection where I have installed them. I am asking to ensure I have a safe environment. Additionally, I seem to be reading that any NTRL approved seems to be accepted - is this accurate? In that case, I could use TUV or others not just UL or ETL - can you confirm this

Thanks for the replies.

1) You will need to contact your local electrical inspector since local codes can always take precedence over the NEC or even state codes. It is entirely up to the local electrical inspector if they will approve UL or ETL or CE, etc type of listings on a product.

2) Even though an inspection will not be performed, you also need to keep in mind that your local homeowners insurance policy will most likely require the electrical products to be listed according to the NEC and/or any local electrical codes. If installing electrical products that are not approved by the local electrical codes and if there is ever a fire, the insurance company may not pay out for any potential damage. If you are code compliant with the local electrical codes, then the insurance company will not have any issues.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don’t have a local electrical inspector. I am asking about NYC - it’s not a small town where one can call up the building department and ask the question. There really is no one to talk to. Can you send me a link to the local code that you may know better on how to find than me googling it

1) NYC has numerous building code officials including electrical inspectors.

2) See link shown below for a contact phone number:

http://www1.nyc.gov/site/buildings/industry/licensing.page

Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor

Thank you for the positive service rating............much appreciated!

If you have any other questions, just let me know.

Take care and have a great day............Thanks again............Kevin:)

Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor