Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I went to turn on the light in my bedroom and all of a

Customer Question
I went to turn...

I went to turn on the light in my bedroom and all of a sudden all the wall sockets in my room stop working and one socket in my son room. I had a small heater on plus everything else so when I went to turn on the switch everything went off including one in my son room.there was like a burn order in my son room but not mines

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

It just happen yesterday and I didn't see the breaker tripped

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

That's about it

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Electrical
12/26/2017
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 6 months ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

Ok
No live phone

You need to recheck the breakers first. Sometimes they don't flip to trip position. The handle will feel loose in comparison to other breakers.

Do you have a 2 wire voltage tester?

I have a tester and the pen
I even have one that you plug in the socket but it does not give me a reading

OK, test a dead outlet as follows.

• Hot to neutral
  • Hot to ground
  • Neutral to ground

Open the panel and test each breaker to neutral.

After verifying the breakers are all showing voltage, the issue is a loss of connection on the circuit. Remove the heater, its load is likely what caused the failure.

1. Plug a vacuumed cleaner into a dead outlet. Make sure it is in the on position. You'll be using it for an audible alert. With your plug in tester go to all dead and live outlets an wiggle them side to side. Most time the connection will make and you'll hear the vac. You will have found the outlet needing correction. If wires are in the push back termination, move them to the screws. Push back always fail.
When I do hot with ground I get no reading on my meter.dont know how to really use my meter I put in in volts and the use the 2000m reading
Hot to nuetral it does give me crazy reading it won't stay in a steady reading

Set yo 300V range, VAC. Zero hot to neutral, zero hot to ground indicates the black wire is the one with the bad connection.

Nuetral to ground crazy to no steady reading

You need to have the tester set to a VAC range 250 to 300V.

My meter does not have that it has 200m,2000m,20,200 and 600
It's an allosun em830 digital multimeter

Set to 600.

Hot to nuetral reads 117, 115 hot to neg r reads 0

Don't understand your message

Hot to neutral is ok.

Hot to neg..???????

Hot neg no reading that's the heater socket. I go to the socket where the light and tv we're plug it's has 5 wires on that one 1 orange 1 brown 1 black and 2 white so I don't know which one is possible. And which one is nuetral the black and brown wires are together all of the sockets stop working when I went to turn on the light this never happened until yesterday

Where are you located? The reason I ask is because of the wire colors you listed.

Master bedroom
I'm in Waterbury ct

Not room, what country.

USA connecticut

Ok, that's good. I didn't say to open any boxes yet. You only need to test one dead outlet as instructed. Then if no voltage was read test the breakers. If all breakers show voltage the wiggle precedure should be done having the vac for an alert.

which wire is nuetral and which one is hot on the socket that has 5 wires which is orange brown black and 2whites

White wires are neutrals. Don't know why you ask at this point. You weren't instructed to open any outlets yet.

Sorry I had it open since yesterday 2 in my room and the one in my son room besides if I don't take them out I can't see the color wires and one of them is pink not orange ok and then which one is the hot wire brown black or pink
I guess the black and brown are the hot wires cause I use the meter and it read 112 and then did hot and ground and also read 112
The pink wire did nothing

The use of the colors mentioned isn't standard. Black, red and white are expected ones that should be used.

Another issue to consider is that there should only be 2 sets, 4 wires on a device. If more a connection with a wirenut and single wire to each side of the device.

If you get a voltage reading hot to neutral the outlet is good.

If there is a switch in the room, make sure it is on while testing.

I have a switch but it's connected to an extension
I have a black and white wire but what about the brown wire and the orange it might be red
But definitely there is a brown but the other outlets are only black and white

Connected to an extension...don't understand.

I think we need to continue with a phone connection to allow for better communication.

to an extension coming from the bathroom sockets since none of the wall sockets work in my room no power
When I'm checking the hot and nuetral I get a reading when I tested the wire but when I put it inside the socket there is no reading I tried the bathroom putting it in the socket and it gave me a reading

A reading on a wire and not on the device indicates a bad connection. If the wires are pushed in the back of the device, that's where the problem usually is.

Due to the failure to communicate I think it best that I opt out. The question will be picked up by another expert who may be able to get you to resolve the issue.

Electrician: Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor replied 6 months ago
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

Hi............first of all like Mike G said there are only BLACK... WHITE... RED....or GREEN/bare copper (ground) wires ...........the wires you are looking at..... are they solid copper and not a stranded automotive wire ?........are they so old that you are getting confused on the colors? .........the ones of a different color are they in a cable or singly alone?..........the switch in the room did it operate something like a lamp or the ceiling light?

I hope you have found my answers insightful, with content to your satisfaction and would consider a 5 star rating…….My goal is to give you the best experience with Just Answer as possible.… by your rating it would be the only way I can be compensated in facilitating your inquiry.........a deposit for a subscription was made by you but no payment will be forthcoming unless I am rated…..positive feedback and bonuses are always welcomed and appreciated......and I thank you

eddie

I trust this held substantial meaning for you ....got you out of your difficulty and would consider a 5 STAR rating so I can receive credit for my help. I'm proud of the work I do here and the positive ratings given by clients like you! If you do need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thanks

eddie