Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Well, I am trying to figure out why our closet light works…

Customer Question
Hello. Well, I...

Hello. Well, I am trying to figure out why our closet light works sometimes and other times it does not and was trying to learn how to troubleshoot it.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Probably six months. Usually we just fumble in the dark when it chooses to not work. Today, I was off work and thought I would fix it as a Christmas present for my wife. :)

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes, I do, if I can.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

This may be helpful...I have a Fluke testing device and can determine which wires are showing voltage etc. I have removed the switch and have access to that circuit now.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Electrical
12/24/2017
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 4 months ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Does the light bulb flicker or dim?

2) Is the wall switch a single pole switch? Only one switch that can control the light, is that correct?

Hi Kevin. Merry Chrismas. Well, right now, the bulb is not flickering or dimming. The wall switch is a single pole switch.
actually, got it working. Thanks anyway. Enjoy your holiday, Kevin!

Thanks for the replies and also wishing you and your family a Merry XMAS.

1) OK, let's try this. Since the switch is a single pole, kill power to the branch circuit breaker and temporarily by-pass the switch and splice both of the switch wires together and see if the light remains ON. Possibly a loose wire at the switch or a faulty switch.

2) If the light does not turn ON, the switch box may contain a white neutral wire splice. You will need to double check the wire splices at the light box as well as any wire terminations in the light box. Also double check if the switch box contains a white neutral wire splice.

3) Flickering bulbs indicate a loose hot wire. Dimming bulbs indicate a loose neutral wire.

Reply back and let me know if by-passing the wall switch works or not and we can continue.......Thanks..........Kevin:)

OK, glad to hear that the light is now working. Must have been a loose wire connection?

Yes, Happy Holidays to you. Thank you.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor