Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I replaced an old GFI outlet with Leviton GFNT1_KW outlet. 4…

I replaced an old...

I replaced an old GFI outlet with Leviton GFNT1_KW outlet. 4 wires and a ground, two black two white. Green status light is on but no power.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Today

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The old receptacle did not look like a GFI even though it was labeled that way

12/24/2017
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC General Class License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) It is possible that you reversed the LINE and LOAD side wires. If reversed wiring, the GFCI won't work. The circuit feed hot and neutral need to terminate to the LINE side and the remaining hot and neutral wires need to terminate to the LOAD side.

2) Do you have a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester (a contact type) or a multimeter to confirm if the LINE side hot and neutral wires have 120 volts into the box?

3) All GFCI receptacles contain test and reset buttons.

I replaced the wires the same way as the old Outlet black on brass white on Silver but I do not think it was a GFI receptacle even though it was labeled that way. Two black wires on the brass side two white wires on the silver side

Sorry, I am not able to make a phone call at this time.

1) Do you have the proper voltage tester to test the wires for voltage?

I thinl so Ill check

OK, let me know and I can walk you thru to test the wires.

Sorry it is in my truck and my truck is not here

1) OK, without having a tester available, the only thing you can try is to reverse the black and white wires to the LINE side of THE GFCI. If still not working, then you need a voltage tester to confirm if the problem is an open hot or an open neutral wire on the circuit feed.

Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Ok, thanks.
George Smith
Phone call session started
Found another tester