Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I'm trying to wire up a dimmer...I have 2 black wires in the…

I'm trying to wire...

I'm trying to wire up a dimmer...I have 2 black wires in the box, a green ground and 2 white wires...how do I connect the dimmer?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

About a month ago my son rewired it and the dimmer got really hot too I opened the box...he's got one black to a black, the other black to the other black (with writing on it) the green to green and the 2 whites not connected to anything, just bug nutted together in the back

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

12/23/2017
George Smith
George Smith, Master Electrician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your electrical issue. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! Let me review your question!

How many lights are on the dimmer and what kind of lamps are in the lights?

It's a chandelier with 12 lights...the dimmer is a new Lutron
A Lutron Skylark 600watt...I'd rather have a print out than talking on the phone
Are you still there?

Yes let me look?

Thank you

What is the wattage of the lamps?

60

Your dimmer is too small ! You have 720 watts!

Hope I was of help today!

Please give me a positive rating before to sign off today!

Thanks !

George

is it wired correctly?

Yes

You need a 1000 watt dimmer or smaller lamps!

Gotcha...but I'm concerned about the fact that the white wires aren't connected to anything

Their not supposed to be at that type of dimmer!

it was wired wrong as well as having the wrong dimmer...how should it be wired up?

No! Its right! The neutrals don't get connected!

Oh...OK so I'll wire it up the same way with the new dimmer...is that why it was overheating?

Yes! It's too small!

Thank you so much...enjoy your holidays

You Too !

Please give me a positive rating?

I will...thank ypu

Home depot will have a 1000w dimmer!

Thanks...and they'll be open tomorrow!

Not all day!

Ooo...didn't know that...thank you!

Maybe just to 3!

George Smith
George Smith, Master Electrician
I just called...they are open till 5...thanks again