Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I've just changed two new ceiling lights in my living room.

Customer Question
I've just changed two...

I've just changed two new ceiling lights in my living room. Since doing so the lights come on when the light switch is off and when I change the switch to the off position the fuse triggers

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

15 minutes

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Don't think so

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Electrical
12/23/2017
Electrician: David Bowden, Electrician replied 2 months ago
David Bowden
David Bowden, Electrician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer… My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today as well as providing a quick and straightforward solution to your specific question. Please allow me a few moments for some research and to confirm my recommendations, which will appear shortly.

In the meantime, if you have any more information you would like to add, ask additional questions, would like to make a comment, or would like to upload helpful photos, please use the reply box below. Thank you!

It sounds like either a crossed wire or something came loose and is causing a short.

How many switches control these lights?

Do you have other lights on this same switch?

Do you have a voltage tester?

Hi David, There are two lights in the living room, with a dual light switch.The light that is causing a problem had:4 - Red
3 - Black
3 - Green
1 - Blue
1 - YellowThe light it self has 2 connectors for live and 2 for neturalput two red into each of the two connectors for livegrouped two blacks into one neutral connector and 1 black + 1 blue into the other neutral connector.

U​nfortunately this is UK wiring which I am not familiar with, therefore I will open the question up to other experts with experience in this type wiring.

Electrician: Leamon Rollo, Electrician replied 1 month ago
Leamon Rollo
Leamon Rollo, Electrician
Good morning, my name is ***** ***** I’ll try to assist you. I need you to pull a switch out of the wall and look at the screws. There should be 2 bronze screws and 1 black and possibly a green. I need to know what color wires are attached to what color screws. Also do you have a bolt meter?
Leamon Rollo
Leamon Rollo
Leamon Rollo, Electrician