Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

My house was built in 1994. The smoke alarm in my daughters…

Customer Question
Good morning Mike! My...
Good morning Mike! My house was built in 1994. The smoke alarm in my daughters bedroom just started going off off randomly. This happened before when the fires were here a few weeks ago, it went off when it was smoky outside! There was no smoke inside the house. I turned the ceiling fan on low and the alarm went off. Was a pr born a few times my Re then nothing all week.Today, Its COLD in Cali! I turned on the heater and the alarm started going off again. Turning the fan on doesn’t make the alarm go off though.So now I have earplugs in! It’s a wired system one connected to the other. Should I disconnect that alarm from the system? Clean it out? Why do you think the alarm is going off?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Electrical
12/22/2017
Electrician: Rick, Electrical Technician replied 7 months ago
Rick
Rick, Electrical Technician

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

You need to replace all the smoke detectors. They are 13 years over due for replacement. Smokes should be replaced every 10 years. I suspect the detectors has failed

Are you sure that is code in California?I spent a fortune for these top-of-the-line fire alarms because I didn’t want to deal with replacing batteries or that type of maintenance. Replacing all of them is a major task necessitating 15 foot ladders and the replacement of about 20 fire alarms. This is no easy task as it is a big house,

That's the industry standard. I'm sorry if it's a big job but no smoke detector is consistently reliable after 10 years and you're more than twice that long.