Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Replaced 3 speed switch on a hampton bay copper ceiling fan.

Customer Question
Replaced 3 speed switch...

Replaced 3 speed switch on a hampton bay copper ceiling fan. now I have three high speeds and one low speed. No off.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

2 days

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Direct wire to wall switch. pull chains operation only. I'm fairly hands and comfortable around electrical but not to smart with a VOM.

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?

No electriction. no idea, 10 years is a wild guess

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Electrical
12/21/2017
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 7 months ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC General Class License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Did you purchase a generic 3 speed pull chain switch or an identical replacement switch? Are you aware that fan pull chain switches are sold in many different switching pattern types? Generic replacements typically don't work?

2) How many wires and what are the wire colors that terminated to the original pull chain switch?

4 wires. Black to L, grey to 1, brown to 2, purple to 3.I originally had the grey on 3 and purple on 1 but switched them after reviewing online schematics. Identical results, 3 high speeds, 1 lower speed. No off. Of course I did not write the original order down.
Picked up a switch at Home Depot. Zing Ear ZE 268s2

Thanks for the replies.

1) Return the switch to the Depot as it is most likely a generic switch. Depot and Lowe's only sell a few generic switches and very often, these switch replacements don't work since they are not identical to the original switch.

2) Contact eceilingfans.com shown in the link below and provide them with the fan manufacturer name and model number. They can get you the correct switch replacement.

http://eceilingfans.com/switches_-_pull_chain_-_ceilin.html

3) Also refer to the fan replacement switch article shown below:

What do I do about the color combination, wiring order,being unknown? I checked the articles you attached, but the article says if wiring order color is unknown: "III. If for whatever reason you do not know which wires connect to which locations on the pullchain, you may yet have some options. For starters, black is almost always L. Some other common color combinations:
No other combinations were given....after promising other common combinations.
I will also order the correct switch, as you recommended.

1) Yes, black is typically the hot wire (L).

2) If you didn't label the remaining the wires with tape for the speeds, you will have to determine the speed position and the associated wire color..........ie........gray, brown or purple by trial and error. Unfortunately, there is no standard pull chain switch and/or wire color patterns on ceiling fans. In fact some fan manufacturers even use different wire colors on the same fan model. This is common with the Hampton Bay brand. HB fans are manufactured in China with 3 different companies all manufacturing the same model of fans.

how do i determine the correct speed position and the associated wire color?

1) If you didn't label the 3 speed wires when you removed the original switch as to what position they were terminated at, the only other method is by trial and error. The black wire should be the hot wire and typically is the "L" wire on most fans. You can confirm the black wire as being a hot wire using a multimeter.

No way to take the switch apart or capacitor order of wires to figure out the correct combination?I did exchange the purple and grey and the fan operated the same, Three highs, one slower, and no off. Shouldn't it have had some effect?

1) The switch you purchased from the Depot is a generic switch. The solution is simple.....ie.... you need an identical replacement switch.

but the correct wiring order. How do I determine that more easily.

1) There is no standard wire color order on fans. Like I said, if you didn't label the wires prior to de-installing the original switch, then the wiring order for the 3 speeds will have to be done by trial and error combination. The only wire that is usually consistent on most fans is the black wire which is the hot wire and should terminate to the "L" position on the switch.

Another problem with ceiling fans is that the manufacturers never provide a schematic diagram of the fan showing the wire colors and/or terminations.

isn't the generic switch just as likely to work by the trial and error method?

1) No, fan pull chain switches are designed in a variety of switching patterns. They may look similar on the exterior of the switch, but the switching pattern is different. Read the document that I previously sent you. This explains the various switching patterns. Thus the reason, an identical switch is required.

I will opt out of the question as we are both repeating the same information. Perhaps another expert can better assist you.

No need to reply back to me, you will be notified once another expert picks up the question.

Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 7 months ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Kevin was correct on the need for an exact replacement for a fan speed switch. The source given is one that I strongly suggest going to. If you noted the wire placement on the switch before removing the switch, you only need to call and order the replacement. If not, you'll need to send your switch for inspection for type to them. They will then send you a switch with wires attached and by color you can connect it. There is no other way to change the switch.

if I do not have the switch I removed and I do not get an exact replacement switch there is no way to hook up the fan to work and I need to purchase a new fan?Thank you, Dan

Call eceilingfans at(###) ###-#### They can resolve the issue.

Thank you Mike. I'll give them a call.

Anytime, you're welcome.

Aloha Mike G,The phone number provided for Eceilingfans is disconnected. It appears to have been off line for some time.Any other advice? Mahalo, Dan

You might want to retry calling that number. I spoke with them yesterday at that number. They have another number(###) ###-####

works fine. (###) ###-####does not work.

You misread the number. It is 553 not 533

.