Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

The apartment we live in has electrical ceiling heating.

Customer Question
Ours does not work, so...
The apartment we live in has electrical ceiling heating. Ours does not work, so we decided to buy a 220 electric fireplace to heat the living room. We have since discovered that the 220 electrical source is single phase only and the fireplace is two phase. Is there anyway to solve this problem?
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Electrical
12/20/2017
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 5 months ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) There is no such thing as 2 phase electrical. Electrical distribution is either single phase or 3-phase. A single family dwelling is single phase which is a combination of 120 & 240 volts. The apartment electrical panel should have both 120 & 240 voltages available.

2) The fireplace will be rated as 120 or 240 volts? Which is it? Look at the nameplate rating on the fireplace for the electrical spec's.

The fireplace is 240, sorry. But is has to hooked up to a 3 phase 240 and our wiring is single phase. They only did this in the penthouse apartments, all the others are normal. Is there an adapter to lower the voltage to 120 because the fireplace can we wired that way.

Thanks for the replies.

1) If the fireplace is rated @ 240 volts, you need a dedicated 240 volt circuit and not a 120 volt circuit or a transformer.

2) What is the wattage of the fireplace? How many watts?

The specs : 120V or 208 V or 240 V
1300 W 1975 W 2575W
Is there an adaptor which down powers 240 by splitting it into 2 120V. Then we could use just one side.

I recommend to wire the fireplace using a 240 volt dedicated circuit (2 hot wires plus a ground wire) terminating to a 15 amp double pole breaker.

Applying Watts Law where P = I x E, solve for I. I =P/E = 2575 watts divided by 240 volts = 10.72 amps. Since the fireplace will be a heating source, multiply the amps by a 1.25 factor due to a heat source.

10.72 amps x 1.25 = 13.41 amps. Therefore, round up and install a 15 amp double pole circuit breaker with 14 AWG copper conductors.

I will relay this information to my husband in the morning. And I will get back to you or someone tomorrow night with any further questions or information. He works extra long hours and cannot do this, so I am trying to get the information for him. He had already done all of the work originally as per Dimplex instructiong, assuming that we had a three phase 240 source. So if following your instructions solved our problem, it would be a great relief. Thank you so much for your time and I will be in touch tomorrow evening. Deborah

Sounds like a plan Deborah. Reply back to me tomorrow. I will be logged on here and we can continue if needed.

In the meantime, have a great evening and we'll catch up with you tomorrow.........Thanks.............Kevin:)

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor