Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

Our disconected wiring for our former hot tub on the deck. I…

Customer Question
Hello! Our disconected wiring...

Hello! Our disconected wiring for our former hot tub on the deck

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?

I want to run the wires( one red ,one green, and two black) to my new garage heater which only has hookups for white, black and ground wire. I'm dropping from a two pole 50 amp to a 2-pole 30 amp. The white is the neutral, green the ground and the two black are the power. How do I go from four down to three? Thanks

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

If you can make sense out of this...you're doing quite well!

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Electrical
12/18/2017
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 2 months ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Is the heater a 120 or a 240 volt model?

2) What are the wire colors that are currently landing on the 50 amp breaker? Where doe the red wire terminate at in the panel?

The heater is a 240 volt. The red and black are attached to the two pole 50 amp breaker

Thanks for confirming.

1) You mentioned that you have 2 black wires. Only 1 of the black and the red wire will connect to the 30 amp breaker. The 240 volt circuit does not require a neutral wire.

2) Splice the house black to the heater black and splice the house red to the heater white. Splice the green grounds together. Use wire nuts on all of the splices.

3) Cap off the extra house black wire with a wire nut as you won't be using it.

I stated that wrong...there are two blacks attached to the two pole 50 amp breaker

OK, then you can use the 2 black wires terminating on the breaker and then splicing to the heater black and white.

1) Where is the red house wire terminated at inside the electrical panel?

The 10 gauge wire I'm wiring to the heater has 1-red,1-black, 1 green and 1 white
The wire going out from the house to the former hot tub was 1 green, 1 white, and 2 black

OK, now I'm confused.

1) You mention two different wire colors.

2) What will be the wire colors that will extend from the panel out to the heater?

1) Are you installing new 10/3 cable from the panel to the heater?

Going out to the heater (from the hot tub junction box) will be 1 blk, 1 wht, 1 red and one green.
this is new 10-3 wire

1) What about the wire colors from the breaker to the JB box? Sounds like you are installing new wire only from the JB to the heater, but retaining the wires from the breaker to the JB, is that correct?

Thats correct!

Gottcha......Thanks.

1) Land the 2 black wires on the new breaker.

2) At the JB, splice 1 black to a black and splice the 2nd black to the red. Cap off the white at both ends.

3) At the heater, splice black to black and red to white.

4) At the heater, splice green grounds together.

Reply back and let me know how you make out.

Thanks............Kevin:)

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Any other questions?

Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor