Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have a light switch I want change to a plug in,it has 2…

Customer Question
I have a light...

I have a light switch I want change to a plug in,it has 2 black wires connected to the switch and 2 white wires taped in the box

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Just now

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

What are the 2 white wire for

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Electrical
12/18/2017
Electrician: Electric Pro, Technician replied 7 months ago
Electric Pro
Electric Pro, Technician

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

Are the two white wires interlocked together?

no cut and taped
there is a copper wire in the box ,but not connected to anything

That should be the neutral wire to the lighting ciruit at lease on one end of it. CLICK HERE, if you tested from either black on the switch with the switch on you would know if it was a neutral you would see 120 volts across it if it was. If not then you could test from the white to ground to make sure it is not somehow a hot lead...doubtful but you could try that.

All I ask is please use the....FINISH BY RATING link at the top your page to select a 5 STAR RATING before leaving today....this is important for my status on the site plus without a rating I will receive ZERO credit(NO PAY) from the site for assisting you. Also rating now does not close the question out and you can come back anytime for FREE right here to me......Happy Holidays!

black wires are connected to the same side of switch

Yes that is your HOT switch leg so those have 120 volt potential to them both when on. Check from them when the switch is on to either WHITE and if you see 120 volts to either white...the white wires are just NEUTRALS