Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I'm trying to plug an extension cord into our Christmas

Customer Question
I'm trying to plug...

I'm trying to plug an extension cord into our Christmas lights, but the extension cord has one prong that's wider and won't go into the plug for the lights. Do I need to get some kind of adaptor?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Just had the lights hung up and wanted to test them, but I can't plug the extension cord into the lights - both the extension cord and the plug are two prong, but they just don't match.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

There isn't any work.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Electrical
12/18/2017
Electrician: David Bowden, Electrician replied 6 months ago
David Bowden
David Bowden, Electrician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer… My name is ***** ***** allow me a few moments while I do some research, my recommendation will appear shortly.

Can you upload a photo showing both ends so I can see how best to resolve your problem.

No I can't do that.

Ok... In that case you can either buy an extension cord that does accept the 2 prong end (try lamp type extension cords) or you can get a small adapter 3 prong to 2 prong that should work, just verify it before purchasing.

I don't think you understood my question. They are both two prong and my extension cord is the type you use with a lamp, but one prong is wider than the other but both holes on the Christmas light plug are narrow and the wider prong won't fit in it.

Yes I understood your question, and if it won't fit, you have 2 options, find a cord that will fit (try other lamp cord type cords) and you can also try an adapter that goes from a 3 prong on one end (plug in) and 2 prong that plugs into the wall. Some of the newer cords don't fit into older outlets simply because parts made in China sometimes don't fit USA

They are both new so that does not make sense , I'm sorry I will just have to go to Home Depot & ask them

Ok sorry I was not able to help you out on this question.