Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

The guest bedroom had a standard overhead light with light…

Customer Question
The guest bedroom had a...
The guest bedroom had a standard overhead light with light switch at the entrance. Later, the room was divided with the addition of a wall. The overhead light was removed and replaced with a standard wall outlet installed in the ceiling (to control bedside lamps).For simplicity, I would like to wire a smoke detector into the existing outlet now.I really don't want to open up the ceiling. Can I wire the smoke detector into the existing ceiling "outlet" so there will always be power to the smoke detector and not rely on the position of the door light switch?If so, how can this be done?
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Electrical
12/17/2017
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 5 months ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

Give me a count and colors of the wires in the box. Also if there are any not connected.

Standard romex wiring. black/white/bare connected to the sides of the outlet.

Not the receptacle, the ceiling box.

I'm going by memory here. I'm presently overseas on a business trip. The "installed" outlet (located within the ceiling box), has a single white wire installed on one side of the outlet, a single black wire installed on the opposite side and the ground installed on the "green" screw of the outlet. The installed ceiling outlet does not work unless the light switch is placed in the "on" position.
I'm trying not to remove the ceiling box and dig deeper than I have to. There is no attic space above this section of ceiling.

If I understand correctly, you're saying the receptacle is in the ceiling box. If so, remove the receptacle and wire the smoke detector

At the switch, remove the wires and wirenut them together to take the switch out of the circuit.

the receptacle is in the ceiling box. There are table lamps plugged into the receptacle which are used as the sole source of lighting within the room. The receptacle is controlled by a single light switch at the door to the guest room.I'm am trying to determine if I can install a smoke detector (which has 2 wires coming out of it) in close proximity to the receptacle utilizing the existing outlet (which is installed in the ceiling box)
I need to keep the light switch as wired so I can control the lights

The outlet should have been installed in the wall. No matter, you had best install a battery operated smoke detector. Even the new 120V units have a battery back up.

I agree the outlet should have been installed within the wall. Unfortunately, I didn't do the construction and I'm not wanting to open walls currently.So there is no way to wire the smoke detector into the existing outlet (in the ceiling box) and "bypass" the light switch at the door? Or will I have to open up the ceiling and see where the connections are to incorporate the light switch break?Or am I going about this from the wrong direction and I should open up the wall where the light switch is?Yes, a battery operated smoke detector would be easier, in this case it's not an option.

By taking the wires off the switch and connecting them together, the receptacle will be hot all the time and you'll be able to power a smoke detector. I don't know why you have opisition to a battery smoke detector.

One more thing. A smoke detector should beounted at least a foot away from a wall to avoid a dead air space which would cause it not to alarm.

If you are done, please rate the answer. 5 stars would be appreciated.

Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician