Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

Have 5 high hats wired to one switch ,. Power at switch

Customer Question
Have 5 high hats...

Have 5 high hats wired to one switch ,. Power at switch though lites not operating. Has thermal sensor that extends out of box on fixture. Are thermal sensors available and if sensor in first is bad will it effect the other 4?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Have not had lites on since thanksgiving and tried them 2 days ago, we built the house in 1985.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If I can we built house and were GC at time. Education is Bs in Applied Eng and Grad in Arch, we do Commercial consulting now. House was wire by CMU EE firm at friend from CMU. If I can’t fix will call him.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Checked so far the last 3 of 5 no power

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Electrical
12/16/2017
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 2 months ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Each can light contains a separate sensor. If a defective sensor on one can, it will only impact that particular can light and not the downstream lights.

2) Replacement sensors are available at a local electrical supply store.

3) Do you have a multimeter to check voltages at each can light?

This is Bill. Yes can do what do you want me to do and what reading is good or bad
No need to talk

1) Set the meter to the 200 volt AC setting. With the wall switch in the ON position, place 1 meter lead to the center metal tab located inside the bulb socket and the 2nd meter probe touching the threaded portion of the bulb socket. This will check voltage from the hot and neutral wire to the bulb socket. Have an assistant flip the wall switch ON and OFF and confirm if you are able to measure approx 120 volts and 0 volts when the switch is ON and OFF.

1) If no voltage reading at the socket, you will need to access the can light splice box and take voltage measurements there at the black and white wires while flipping the wall switch ON & OFF.

1) If you are unable to measure voltage at the 1st can light, then you need to confirm if the wall switch has voltage and is working correctly.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor