Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

The power usage in my home office often times will trip the…

Customer Question
The power usage in...

The power usage in my home office often times will trip the breaker. What can I do to fix this?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

It's a new home, less then a year.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I'm looking for advice on what services to ask for when talking to a local electrician

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Electrical
12/16/2017
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 2 months ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

What breaker are you saying trips, main breaker or branch circuit breaker?

branch, just the one room in the house

You need to know exactly what is on the circuit. The total load if more than the breaker will trip the circuit. Unfortunately the panel directory doesn't give enough info as to what is on the circuit. Panel directories are worthless. A circuit map is what I suggest to everyone. With a sheet of paper per floor having the rooms outlined and receptacle and lights marked allows you to trip breakers and Mark the breaker number next to the outlet symbol. When completed you'll see what is on all circuits and it will make troubleshooting much easier. Use of circuits for A/C units, heaters or motors will be items that add up to overload a circuit. You may have a bad breaker that causes the trip on a minimum load

I've traced my outlets, I can confidently claim its just my computer, 2 monitors, and an amazon alexa drawing power from this one branch circuit. I know this same circuit covers the outlets in the neighboring wall of the dinning room, however that is why i keep those outlets unused. What are my options if I were to hire an eletrician to come fix this for me? Run another circuit to my office? or can they upgrade the breaker to not trip? I'm novice enough I'm not sure what to ask for and I'd hate to waste someones time not knowing ahead of time.

The dining room as should be the kitchen and any room related to food are required to be on 2 separate 20A circuits that should not have outlets in other habital rooms. That's code. A simple test with a clamp meter will show the load on the circuit and corrections can be made.

What kind of corrections?

Correct a miswire of having dining room receptacles on the same circuit as other rooms or possibly a bad breaker, corrosion on the buss where the breaker connects.

Ok, thank you.

Anytime, you're welcome.

Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician