Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I am an independent electrician. I have been installing

Customer Question
I am an independent...

I am an independent electrician. I have been installing Intermatic surge protectors for 20 years and have never had a problem until reciently. I have 2 that have gone bad ( light out) they are Model Ig1240RC3. What can you do to help me? They were both installed in Feb & Mar. 2016 and are under warranty. We have had no storms in 2 Mo. Thank you Donald Hamsher***** Englewood Fl. 34223.***@******.***

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

One went out about 3 weeks ago and one went out 2 days ago. Customers are not happy.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes , I have been doing electric work for 40 yrs. and have a journeyman license.

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?

I am the electrician and these have been in service since March 2016.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I have given you all the information and customers want them replaced.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Electrical
12/15/2017
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 2 months ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) As I'm sure that you are well aware of, voltage surges are not just limited to nearby lightening and/or storms. There are dozens of other reasons that can cause voltage surges.

Utility transformer issues, utility sub-station issues, loose wire connections at the utility or meter socket or inside the electrical panel, "in-rush" current from a motor load, etc, just to name a few.

Unfortunately, trying to determine the actual cause or origin of a power surge is like chasing a ghost.

2) Assuming that the panels were properly grounded and bonded according to the NEC and that the surge protector was properly installed per the manufacturer, it seems somewhat ironic that both of the surges failed within a one month time period. I would be suspicious of defective surges that were manufactured from possibly the same lot number at the manufacturing plant? Seems strange that both failed at the same time period and within 1 month of each original install date? I recommend to contact Intermatic and provide them with the surge protector information, serial number, model number, etc. Perhaps this is a known problem on this particular surge model?

3) Since two of these failed, if I were installing surge protectors, I would most likely change to another brand such as Leviton or Square-D.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Any other questions?

Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor