Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I switched my dryer cord from 3 wire to four wire the didn’t…

Customer Question
I switched my dryer cord...
I switched my dryer cord from 3 wire to four wire the didn’t hook up the white neautral wire to ground school so when plugged dryer in to try the white wire sparked so unplugged and hooked it up write no dryer won’t power up
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Electrical
12/13/2017
Electrician: Electric Pro, Technician replied 7 months ago
Electric Pro
Electric Pro, Technician

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

The Neutral wire should have gone to the middle prong where did you hook it up tp or can you show me a pic of how you have it wired?

After the spark I did attach it middle prong it was the second white wire coming from dryer that was hooked to the ground screw originally but now both whites are hooked in the middle but no power

Ok what wire did you have attached to the middle?

Both white wires

You should have had a RED, BLack, White and Green correct?

on the cord but on dryer is another white wire that was hooked where the green wire had to go

Ok did you always have the REd and Black to the two outside terminals?

Ok did you check the breaker and do you have a volt meter?

Checked breaker machine just no power plug has power

IS there 240 volts across the red and Black wires at the terminal block on the machine and 120 from Black to White and Red to White?

Not sure gonna have to get a meter I don’t have one was thinking there might be a fuse in the machine

What is the model number off the tag on the dryer?