Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I’m installing LED to what used to be CFL can light. The…

Customer Question
I’m installing LED to...

I’m installing LED to what used to be CFL can light. The light is controlled be two switches at opposite ends of a hall. Ive connected the grounds, white and black wires but the led light does not come on. Does the hot wire go thru the light on a 3 way? My switch has a red and two black.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Just now, I thought the ballast was bad on CFL so was going to convert to LED retrofit from Costco lights.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No not really

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Electrical
12/12/2017
Electrician: Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor replied 5 months ago
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

Hi ..........it probably is just a matter of swapping some wires on the switch..........the black from the feed should be connected to the black lug on the switch and the red traveller on the bottom of that same side and the black Traveller connected on the other side..........the neutrals should be capped together ............please let me know

Thanks

eddie

Currently the Red traveler is on top of the switch with two blacks at the bottom. Would I do as you suggest on both switches? I’m out of time right now, I’ll try later today.

one box is the power feed box.............so the other switch if you didn't change anything there leave it the way it is ................sure let me know when you get back to it and put them on that way

How do I know which one is the feed?

aren't you using a tester?

Ues

then test which Romex cable coming in is the feed

I have the feed wire but no 120VAC between black and white but have voltage back to ground.The hot black was connected to white wire of Romex with red wire going back to the black bottom lug of other switch.Should there be voltage black to white on feed wire?

maybe something was crossed ............if you hooked it back up the way it was it didnt work ?...........try to hook it up like I instructed and let me know when you can

I don’t know what’s going on. I’m gonna call a buddy who’s an electrician. The fixture was working, then it just stopped. Bulb good. Thanks for your help.

you have a loose connection ...........maybe a wire snapped.......do a wiggle test on it .........once it is hooked up again like we had it .......jiggle the switch around and see if the light goes intermittently on and off

I hope you have found my answers insightful, with content to your satisfaction and would consider a 5 star rating…….My goal is to give you the best experience with Just Answer as possible.… by your rating it would be the only way I can be compensated in facilitating your inquiry.........a deposit for a subscription was made by you but no payment will be forthcoming unless I am rated…..positive feedback and bonuses are always welcomed and appreciated......and I thank you

eddie

Eddie
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor