Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I also purchased a photocell from Lowes. To run my LED

I also purchased a photocell...
I also purchased a photocell from Lowes.
To run my LED lights into a my soffit. I first wired a dimmer to the switch and it worked fine. I then ran a 14/3 wire from the attic to the photo cell - in the attic using Black > power, Red to all other black or Lights, White wired all together, then wired the photo cell outside Black to Black (power) Red to Lights, White to White. /// Lights will not go off in the daylight.
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/11/2017
Sam I
Sam I, Electrician

Hello, did you say you put a dimmer in the lighting circuit with a photocell?

Is it still there?

it is still there.
The LED are bright so I would like to incorporate both the dimmer and some short of dawn to Dusk timer.

Unfortunately you can't use a dimmer with a photocell. That may be why the photocell doesn't turn off now because it got damaged by the dimmer

Is there another option I can use with the dimmer / dusk to dawn timer?
Do they have a combo switch?

You could do it but the dimmer would have to be located electrically after the photocell.

That could be a problem, my dimmer is inside and PC outside.

You might have the wiring in place already. It may just take some swapping around in the boxes. Where did you run the 14/3 from?

From the Attic to the outside receptacle for the PC. It is a older home so i just made the connection in the Attic with the hotwire coming up from the switch.

You would probably have to route the cables down into the switch box. I don't know what you tapped into in the attic

I tapped into the lead from the switch that went into the attic where the junction box was for the lights. That was were the power came from.

ok so you had power from the panel into that j-box along with the cable going to the switch and the cable going to the lights?

ok so you could use that diagram. You would just need to run an extra 14/2 to the lights from that attic box.

14/3 from the j-box to the PC and a 14/2 from that box to the lights

Does that answer your question?

Okay, I think I got it now. I have all the lights running into the same j box presently.
So I understand 14/3 separately to the PC, a little confused on the 14/2 - will this be connected to the
Power in the box from the switch running up?

The 14/2 black will run from the switch to power the lights. The 14/2 white will be connected with all the other neutrals

The 14/3 red comes back from the photocell once it turns on after dusk and provides power to the dimmer.

If the lights are all in that same junction you tapped in the attic then you don't need the 14/2. Just make the connections there

Okay that's what I was thinking got it now. Thank you!

Glad to help

If that answers your question please don't forget to leave me a rating from 3 to 5 stars so I can get credit for answering with Just Answer. Good luck!

Sam I
Sam I, Electrician
Sam I
Sam I
Sam I, Electrician