Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I'm trying to wire a few wemo wifi light switches in a 4…

Customer Question
Hi. i'm trying to...

Hi. i'm trying to wire a few wemo wifi light switches in a 4 switch box. i've got 5 sets of wires going into the box and am confused

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

20 minutes

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Electrical
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/10/2017
Electrician: Sam I, Electrician replied 2 months ago
Sam I
Sam I, Electrician

Hello, I can help. Are the old switches still connected?

Hi Sam, a few of them were

were? as in they aren't now?

I took the old switches out and started to wire in the new ones. I've done this before and have roughly 15 of these wifi switches in my house. the extra set of wires and the way this was wired confused me tho

well if all these lights are on the same circuit breaker, I would say that one romex cable (black, white, copper wire) is your power incoming. The other 4 would go to each light that it controls. Do you have any kind of voltage tester?

Looks like you have three 3-way switches?

yeah. i picked up a cheapie $30 one at lowes just now

ok. Are 3 of the 4 switches in that box 3-way switches? In other words do they have at least another switch controlling the same light?

Mike, Master Electrician