Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I wired it up and ran motor without load no problem ... then…

Customer Question
Mike,I wired it up and...
Mike,I wired it up and ran motor without load no problem ... then I put belt on compressor and started to run approx 1 minute into it — the motor started to smoke
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Electrical
12/10/2017
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 2 months ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

If it ran without the belt that means it is wired correctly. If it smoked after a load was put on it the issue isn't wiring. Could be a defective motor.

This happened to the previous motor— I thought I wired it incorrect !!!

Do you have a 2 wire voltage tester? Take a reading on the feed wires to verify voltage.

A bad connection could cause a voltage drop and cause the motor to fail.

249

That's high. 240V should be the max, usually lower. High voltage can also damage a motor. Are there any other failure on the service?

That’s from the generator
I’m gonna switch the motor to 110 and wire in the original cable and plug it into wall — so we have a baseline that the motor is good and the generator is at fault

Very good.

it works 110 from land line — I think generator is the issue

Appears to be.

Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician