Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have 14-2 source into outlet box. Another 14-2 into outlet…

I have 14-2 source...

I have 14-2 source into outlet box. Another 14-2 into outlet box from light box. 14-3 in outlet box going to light switch. I want the switch to only work for light.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

20 minutes.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I think I am messing up where the white neutral connects.

12/9/2017
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

Thanks

From your description I assume that the receptacle is switch together with the light. If so, the red wire should be the switch leg. Make the connections as follows.

1. Connect black wire to light with the red wire.
  2. Connect all white wires together with a jumper wire to the silver screw on the receptacle.
  3. Connect remaining black wires to to the receptacle.

If the receptacle was only half switched, replace the device.

Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
source is for receptacle and the light. I habe black to red already, but don't habe all whites together. I will do that now.
Phone call session started

Call attempted. Dead air, no answer or voice mail. Do you want a call?

No
About to test
Works. Thanks.

Anytime, you're welcome.

Take care. I only had the source white/neutral connected to the switch white, but not to the light fixture white, originally.