Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have a question about my Christmas tree lights. I set up…

Customer Question
Hello, I have a...

Hello, I have a question about my Christmas tree lights.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

I set up my Christmas tree a few days ago, it has been stored in a dry closet in my room since last Christmas

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes, I already started

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Yes, I have a Christmas light repair kit from Lowes, and the voltage detector shows that there is voltage present throughout the whole section of lights but the lights still won't turn on. (It is not the whole tree - just several branches connected in a row).

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Electrical
12/10/2017
Electrician: machinc, Electrical Technician replied 4 months ago
machinc
machinc, Electrical Technician
Any bulb that is burned out or missing in a section can cause all the bulbs in that section not to Light.cause
Check for a bulb that looks darker than normal.
Look closely and you should see the two electrodes with a small wire connecting them ( best to use a magnifying glass) replace any questionable bulbs.
You can still read voltage on the string with a light bulb burned out that just lets you know the small fuse located in the plug are good
The wire itself can also be damaged usually from pets and possibly mice when in storage
Look for exposed wire or torn insulation.
Sometimes bulbs are removed for soeciality ornaments or fall out when taking apart the tree for storage
The fuses located under a slide off cover on the plug are clear and you can see the small wire inside them when they are good.
If they are dark they could be bad
Replace if in doubt. They should have replacements in the repair kit or with the tree in a small plastic bag attached near the end of the cord
Hi, thank you for your response. The thing is - i already replaced every single bulb on that strand with the brand new ones i just bought at the store and replaced the fuses. I have a voltage tester for Christmas lights which i also just bought at the store, and it beeps continuously when i touch every single bulb - that means the voltage is present. However, the whole tree is lit and this one section of lights is still unlit. That is the mystery. It seems like i tried everything. I also tried to "jump start it" with the trigger on that "gun" where you can plug it into an empty bulb socket. Do you think the only choice is to replace the whole section of lights with new wires? Or are there more things i can try?
You have about run the course on that strand
It’s often faster and easier to lay in a new run.
At this point I would replace with new.
machinc
machinc
machinc, Electrical Technician