Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I'm building a food truck and I need to know how many watts…

Customer Question
I'm building a food...

I'm building a food truck and I need to know how many watts do I need for the truck voltage and what size generator do I need to give full power to the truck

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Well I just starting estimating the voltage and the watts and I came up with 20,975 for the watts and 1520 for the voltage

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Maybe haven't decided yet

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

What size fuse box should I purchase

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Electrical
12/9/2017
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 7 months ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Standard generator voltage is a combination of 120 and 240 volts, not 1520.

2) Generators are sized according to the connected loads and the quantity of loads that will be running simultaneously. Loads are rated in watts or amps. If 20,975 watts are required, apply Watts Law where P = I x E. Solve for I (current). I = P/E = 20,975 watts divided by 240 volts = 87 amps. Round up and use a 100 amp electrical panel.

3) Generators are rated in watts or kilowatts (thousands of watts). In your application, you will need a generator that is rated for the appropriate kW rating.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)