Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

The outlet in the kitchen works for a two pronged

Customer Question
The outlet in the...

The outlet in the kitchen works for a two pronged appliance(coffee pot) but doesn't work for a three prong appliance(vitamix) What's the problem?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

One day. I was using a hand mixer last night and it popped the breaker. I reset the breaker but the mixer wouldn't work. I found a groundfault outlet in the bathroom and reset it. Then the coffee pot worked.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

All the electrical outlets in my kitchen will work for two prongs but not for three.

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?

House was built in 1987

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Electrical
12/9/2017
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 7 months ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

How many grounded plugs are tripping the GFCI? What items are doing this?

the fridge is three prong but I don't remember if the electric range is a three pronger. also I have a microwave builtin

You may have an overload problem. The items mentioned if on the circuit tat trip suggests that. Just the fridge alone should be on its own circuit as should the microwave.

The panel directory is worthless. The information is lacking in showing what is on a circuit. To correct that and have the best source of information about the circuits you need a circuit map. If you take a sheet of paper per floor, draw the rooms, put an R for receptacles and a for lights, flip the breakers and put the breaker number next to the letters. This will show all outlets on the circuits and the path of the circuit.

Having a bathroom GFCI trip because of something plugged in at a kitchen outlet is a miswired circuit and a code violation. The kitchen receptacles need to be on 2 dedicated 20A circuits with nothing else on them.

Make the map and return with the information I need to help you with your problem