Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

My wife was using a kitchen outlet the other day and had…

Customer Question
My wife was using a...
My wife was using a kitchen outlet the other day and had multiple machines plugged in. She stated it popped sparked and smoked a little bit. tripped the circuit and at first could not reset the tripped circuit breaker. She did reset it and reset the gfi, but none of the outlets in the kitchen currently work.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Electrical
12/8/2017
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 4 months ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Most likely a loose wire termination or a faulty wire splice at one of the receptacles.

2) 1st kill power to the circuit breaker and then pull the receptacle out from the wall box and perform a visual inspection on the wire terminations or splices. If the wires are back-stabbed, those always come loose. Wires should always terminate to the receptacle side screws and not into the back-stab insert holes. If any of the wiring is burnt or melted, it needs to be replaced.

3) Do you have a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester (a contact type) or a multimeter to measure voltage?

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor