Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Kitchen light and rear deck light went out at the same time.

Customer Question
Thinking I had a surge...
Kitchen light and rear deck light went out at the same time. Thinking I had a surge I removed dimmer and switch to possibly replace them.
I am getting juice to the box but it is not getting to the fixtures.
I considered squirrel issues but I would think there would be two circuits
going out of the box. Any ideas ?
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Electrical
12/8/2017
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 6 months ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Do you have a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester (a contact type) or a multimeter to measure voltage at the wall switches and at the light fixtures?

AC tester

1) Are the switches a single pole or 3-way or 4-way types? How many switches?

2 single pole switches/dimmer

OK, place 1 test lead to one of the brass screws on the single pole switch and the other test lead to a ground wire. With the single pole switch in the OFF position, one of the brass screws should always be live with 120 volts.

If the switches reside in a double gang wall box, most likely they reside on the same circuit.

Let me know the results of the voltage measurements at the switch box and we can continue.......Thanks.

I have removed both switches from the box and I have one hot lead split into two leads. There are three other wires into the box. Originally there was a double switch and a dimmer in the box. The double switch worked the deck light and a door light that never worked. This is an old house and if I had to guess I would think this wiring was added in a remodel in the 60's or 70's. Kitchen was expanded at that time.

1) Were you able to measure voltage at the wall switches?

I have no tester nor do I have the expertise to measure. I just have a two wire tester. It lights when connected with the hot lead and two out of the three remaining wires.

OK, I will opt out of the question. Perhaps another expert can better assist you.

No need to reply back to me. You will be notified once your question is picked up by another expert.

Electrician: David Bowden, Electrician replied 6 months ago
David Bowden
David Bowden, Electrician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer… My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today as well as providing a quick and straightforward solution to your specific question. Please allow me a few moments for some research and to confirm my recommendations, which will appear shortly.

In the meantime, if you have any more information you would like to add, ask additional questions, would like to make a comment, or would like to upload helpful photos, please use the reply box below. Thank you!

The problem may be a neutral wire not a hot wire. You will need to have a voltage tester in order to determine the problem and how to resolve it easily. Without a tester we have no way to assist you if you would like to try it yourself, otherwise you will need to contact an electrician or knowledgeable handyperson with a voltage tester. Are you able to borrow one?

No. I can purchase one. I suppose I can read the instructions and then test the wires. I guess I'll have to get back to you.
I've just been medically retired and I just can't afford to hire someone at this point.
Thank you for your time.

N​o worries, once you get the tester I can help you trace out the wires so you can better understand how to resolve the problem and save having to hire someone. Just let me know. Most home centers have low cost testers, but it needs to be a 2 wire type not a circuit tester type.

Thank you. I will get back to you.

ok

Greetings… Just following up to see if you were still needing some help answering your question?

Thanks,

Dave