Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I am trying to take my ceiling fan off the ceiling I can not…

Customer Question
I am trying to...

I am trying to take my ceiling fan off the ceiling I can not figure it out how, help please

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

An hour

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I am trying to put a universal remote control, old one broke

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Electrical
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/7/2017
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 8 months ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC General Class License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) What issues are you having? Please provide details?

I dont see any screws that attach the fan to the ceiling

Thanks for the replies.

1) Some fans have different methods of removing the canopy cover. Look and see if there is a plastic retaining ring located at the very top of the canopy cover. If so, the plastic retaining rings needs to be twisted either clockwise or counter clockwise to gain access to the canopy screws. I've seen other fans where the entire canopy cover is required to twist.

I try both ways and didn’t want turn.

1) Can you send me a picture or two of the canopy cover?

2) Who is the manufacturer and the model number of the fan?

OK, the pictures are a bit blurred.

If no screws at the canopy cover, it should be able to twist in order to drop the canopy cover.

I did try that right and left but no lack

OK, I will opt out of the question as I have nothing else I can think of. All of the fans that I've installed over the years that did not contain canopy cover exterior screws on the outer circumference had to be twisted off in order to remove the cover. Without knowing the fan model model number, difficult to determine the exact removal method.

I will opt out of the question. Perhaps another expert can better assist you.

No need to reply back to me, you will be notified once your question is picked up. Thanks.

Electrician: David Bowden, Electrician replied 8 months ago
David Bowden
David Bowden, Electrician

Here is a link to a standard way these fans hang. Most likely you need to rotate (turn) the collar and the fan since they are screwed together. I recommend pressing up at the same time as turning since many times these fans have small tabs to lift over before you can turn the entire way (this prevents the fans from coming loose)

https://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/81/81bdeef9-f6d5-4c26-bcd2-4f9dd7a7914f.pdf

I was reviewing my open questions list and noticed this one has not been answered or replied to. Did you still need help with it or should it go back to customer service for proper processing?

I will get back on it next week thank you

Ok thanks for the reply

Greetings… Just following up to see if you were still needing some help answering your question?

Thanks,

Dave

Electrician: David Bowden, Electrician replied 7 months ago

Hello...

I am not sure if you have been receiving my follow up messages regarding this question however, if you would be so kind as to please respond and let me know if the information I provided initially was helpful or if you still require some assistance, I would sincerely ***** ***** that way I can either continue helping you or forward this to customer support for further processing.

Thank you very much,

Dave

I have not been able to locate any additional information on this issue and since I have not received any feedback, I am thinking the recommendations I mentioned above have been helpful in resolving this problem. If you still need additional assistance just let me know by using the reply box.

Thanks,

Dave

Hello, I was reviewing my open questions and noticed this one has not been replied too, however I did respond with an answer back on December 07, 2017 and therefore I am wondering if that has resolved the problem you were experiencing. I would greatly appreciate a reply email, so I can complete this open question, or just let me know if you need further assistance, and I can continue to look for another solution.

Hello... I would very much appreciate if you can take a few moments and reply to this email and let me know if you still require assistance, or should I proceed forward to closing out this question since it has been open for so long.

Thank you,

Dave

Close it please I was not able to fix it with your help

O​kay will do, was it because you were not able to get the trim cover off, or some other issue with the fan?