Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have 2 black wires, 2 capped together wires., and two

I have 2 black...

I have 2 black wires, 2 capped together white wires., and two copper wires that are tied together but not plugged into anything. We are trying to wire a motion sensor that has 1 black, 1 red, and 1 yellow wire. We wired the black wires to red and black wires on the sensor. It turned on but wont turn off. The sensor says it will not work without a ground wire but the ground wires can be connected because they are so thick and connected together. How do i hook this up. It was one light switch connecting two ceiling lights

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

The past 30 minutes

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

12/7/2017
George Smith
George Smith, Master Electrician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your electrical issue. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! Let me review your question!

What is the manufacturer and model number of the sensor?

You going to need a pigtail for the ground wire!

Its a legrand RRW600UTCCCV4

Thanks give me a minute!

You're wired right but you have to ground the device and the neutral needs to be connect too!

You may have to remove those crimp connectors on the ground wires

Hope I was of help today!

Please give me a positive rating before to sign off today!

Thanks !

George

What do we connect the neutral to? Can you write exactly what goes to what color wise

Do you know which black is your hot?

I do not

You need to get a tester to find out?

I suppose it wont hurt if we just try one after the other. Also these copper wires are so thick i dont think they will fit under the ground scree

You don't want to do that you can burn the sensor out by putting the hot to the red!

You need to out a pigtail on the ground!

1. Hot black to black.
  2. Switch leg black to red.
  3. White to load on sensor.
  4. Yellow capped.
  5. Ground to ground
The led on the sensor flashed and turned off the lights but now its doing nothing

Do you have it grounded?

We had to put one ground wire under the screw and braid the other 2 because they wont all fit under the screw

There is a reset timer on it move away from the sensor and see if it resets?

Question there wouldnt be more than one hot wire correct?

NO!

Its one of the black wires!

Sorry! its the black with the wire nut!

Ok so we have the hot connected correctly from the start. We have 2 black connected to red, and black to black. Uninsuated copper wires are braided and has one end under the ground screw on the device. The two white wires in the wall are capped off, and the yellow wire is capped off
Oh we used the black wire without the wire nut for black on black connection. Did we fry it?

Could have !

Does everything else sound correct though?

how many lights does it operate?

2 light fixtures
2 ceiling lights. They were connected to one switch

You really don't know for sure with the two black wires! They could be your lights or your hot?

If you take that wire nut off if you loose power somewhere else that is a hot!

The whites connect to the load on the sensor?

A phone call would be easier?

We got it to work somehow

Ok !

Please give me a positive rating?

George Smith
George Smith, Master Electrician
Ok