Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Can you help with questions about setup and wiring of GE…

Customer Question
Hello! Can you help...

Hello! Can you help with questions about setup and wiring of GE ceiling fans

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

It is brand new - just out of the box. Installer has a question

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No. Installer has a question. Are you a real person?

Contractor's Assistant: Yes, I'm a bot. I make the process of talking to the Appliance Expert more efficient and affordable by asking basic questions. Anything else we should know to help you best?

I would like to talk to the expert

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Electrical
12/7/2017
Electrician: Electric Pro, Technician replied 4 months ago
Electric Pro
Electric Pro, Technician

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

I am the expert what question do you have about the install?

There are 3 wires in the ceiling: red, white and green..
Should the red wire go into the red port in the power plug receptacle? Or into the black?
I should not have to pay $24 for the answer to this question
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 4 months ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) What do you mean by a power plug receptacle? Ceiling fans are always hard-wired spliced at the ceiling and never plugged into a receptacle.

2) How many wires and the wire colors on the fan wiring harness? 1, black, 1 blue, 1 white and 1 ground wire or other?

3) Will the fan be controlled by pull chains or remote controlled or by a wall switch?

1) Send me a picture of the power plug that you reference so I can see what you have in place?

White blank red
The receptacle is the exact name if the fan part the wires plug into.
The us not a green wire in the ceiling. Only the 3 colors I mentioned
White black red

1) That is not a receptacle, it is most likely a push-in port connector. Send me a picture so I can confirm. A receptacle is where you plug things like lamps and radios into a wall outlet. Ceiling fans never have a receptacle.

actually it us called a receptacle which I had a hard time with as well.

1) Well then the GE instructions are wrong. I suspect it is a 3 wire port connector which serves as a splice point.

1) You have provided me with 2 different house ceiling wire colors? What are the house wire colors and the quantity at the ceiling box?

I am not able to view the diagram as it is all blurred.

1) Was there a previous fan or light installed in this box? If so, was the red or black wire spliced to a fan or a light fixture wire ?

Did you see the diagram?

I can't view the diagram..... all blurred.

1) Do you have a multimeter or a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester (a contact type) to confirm if the ceiling red or black is the hot wire?

I don't know. This is not working well.

OK, I will opt out of the question then. Perhaps another expert can better assist you.

No need to reply back to me. You will be notified once another expert picks up your question.

Mike, Master Electrician