Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have a timer box that controls both my front and back low…

Customer Question
I have a timer...

I have a timer box that controls both my front and back low voltage garden lights. The box plugs in directly to a 3 prong outlet inside the house. The back lights work at night, the front lights do not. I know the reason for this is that one of the toggle switch resets (box breakers) inside the unit will not stay in the on position. it flips as soon as you try to reset it.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?

In your opinion, could it be a break in the cable line outside caused a critter, or is it a timer box short issue. My guess would be a box issue. What are your professional thoughts?

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I am a handyman that could redo any of the cable work outside. Electrical is a area that I stat away from. If it is a timer box issue, I would have a pro electrician do it.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Electrical
12/7/2017
Electrician: Sam I, Electrician replied 7 months ago
Sam I
Sam I, Electrician
Hello, it sounds like your front light circuit has a short. You can check this by removing the front wiring from the timer and then resetting it.
The usual cause of this is bad splices where water has gotten in it or plant roots
Any luck?