Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I am looking for the NEC code referencing to the requirement…

Customer Question
I am looking for...

I am looking for the NEC code referencing to the requirement to use Copper only in facilities.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Trying to track this down for two days now.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No I have fired a prime contractor.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not at this time.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Electrical
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/6/2017
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 4 months ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

Please tell me the application you are concerned about

Contractor is providing cut sheets for aluminum wire and I remember somewhere there's a code that says it has to be copper inside facilities

Could you be more specific. Feeders, branch circuits, type of building.

this project includes feeders, branch circuits. exterior weather station equipment with interior electronic monitoring equipment.facility.

Code allows the use of aluminum on feeders. The branch circuits to outlets require copper for the device connections. Your electronic equipment isn't governed by code spacificly, but all wiring under 14 gage conductors would be copper. The only mention in code for not using aluminum conductors is for mobile homes. Art 517.

Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician