Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have a half switched outlet that need to be changed. I…

Customer Question
I have a half...

I have a half switched outlet that need to be changed. I understand that i should break the tab between the two brass screws to separate the red and the black wires but do i need to break the tab on the neutral White wire side

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Not long just want to change the outlet correctly

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

There are 2 white wires 2 black wires and one red wire i am planning on a pig tail for the two black wires and then connect to the brass screw.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Electrical
12/6/2017
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 7 months ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) If the receptacle is controlled by the same circuit breaker, then you only need to remove the brass tab in between the 2 hot wires.

The silver neutral tab located in between the 2 silver screws will remain in place. Do not remove the neutral silver tab. Leave this tab as is.

2) Yes, install a black pigtail for the 2 black wires and terminate to one of the brass screws. The red wire will terminate to the other brass screw.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Does that answer your question?