Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Just purchased property and found that the 120V circuit for…

Customer Question
Just purchased property and...

Just purchased property and found that the 120V circuit for lighting and receptacle outlet has a neutral that's connected to the equipment ground. shed has 2 wire w/ground feeder protected by 20 circuit breaker. need to resolve.

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?

The two wire feeder is 240Vac for the well pump motor and controller, previous owner not having a neutral used the ground and L1 for 120v can we use a transformer to resolve issue? 240 to 120V ac step down encapsulated transformer or would it be better to trench a new conductor cable for the 120vac? 5 years old

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes or use electrician if needed

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

That's it, can we use a transformer or not for this application

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Electrical
12/5/2017
Electrician: George Smith, Master Electrician replied 6 months ago
George Smith
George Smith, Master Electrician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your electrical issue. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! Let me review your question!

motor load = 7 amps (primary side) of transformer.
lighting and receptacle load on secondary side is 100 Watt light bulb and intermittent use 1500 W space heater at receptacle.
feeder supplying shed is 2 conductor w/grnd direct underground burial cable. (no neutral). But it's been illegally wired to produce 120 by using equipment ground.

Is there a tap for a neutral and ground!

If not a neutral should be brought in !

guess question here is, would it be easier solution to use a transformer or run an additional 120V 2 wire w/gnd cable to supply the 120V. think transformer is easiest cheapest fix but when I use code NEC 2014, looks like i have to use different ocp lower than rated circuit breakers which means I'd have to fuse both sides of xformer, is this correct? and if so maybe it's easier to run another 120v line instead.

Yes and you need a ground also!

Hey George, thank you for the info. No, no neutral, neutral tap, it's a general purpose encapsulated 2 kVA xformer 240/120.
that is a separate ground rod!
would you recommend finding a xformer w/ neutral tap or just running a new conductor to supply the 120v?
I would do the xformer!
Is your feeder direct burial?
me too but i'm having trouble finding a center tap, or neutral tap.
even if found, wouldn't i then have to 1. resize primary ocp and provide ocp for secondary?
direct burial cable #10AWG 2 conductor w/gnd
You look at Grainger
about 110' from main service panel where ocp for feeder is located, so were looking into options other than digging another trench
checking now...
no, can't find center tap single phase transformer on grainger for 1.5-2kVA
No 1 phase transformers have neutral taps
Guess it's teaching! How about Square D?
Where you locstef?
Plenty of 240/120 transformers, but not finding any with neutral taps, only 3 phase has
Do you have an electrical supply near by?
If you trench I would put the feeder on pipe
zero help. so been looking online
here's the transformer i need to use: https://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Power_Products_(Electrical)/Power_Transformers/1-Phase_Encapsulated_Transformers_(NEMA_Rated)/480x240_VAC_to_240X120_VAC/C1F1C5LES
but there's no neutral, but it produces the 120V we need for lighting and receptacle.
where in nec does it state neutral requirements for xformer? i've looked in article 250 but not finding it.
found where to size the ocp for xformer less than 600 volts from table 450.3(b)
450, not 250, sorry typo
I don't have my code book with me right now I'LL looking a little later and get back too you I'm at the eye doctor right now?
Look in 240 and 450

Did you find it ?

Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 6 months ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) You don't need a transformer to resolve the problem. Just install a new 4 wire sub-panel feeder circuit comprised of 2 hots, 1 neutral and 1 equipment grounding conductor from the main panel out to the shed. Install a sub-panel at the shed with the respective branch circuit breakers.

2) Transformers are used used to step up or step down voltage.

2) Transformers are used to step up or step down voltage.

that was my first option but sine trenching a new line and cable is costly and big job due to distance (~ 120' ). we thought of using a transformer to avoid having to do this.