Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Thanks in advance for your help. I just replaced some 3 way…

Customer Question
Hi.. Thanks in advance for...
Hi.. Thanks in advance for your help. I just replaced some 3 way switches/dimmers in my house. All the new switches have the green ground wire attached to them, but there is no wire in my switch box to attach them to. I have a metal switch box. Can I leave the green wire from the switch loose in the switch box? or does it need to be attached to something?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Electrical
12/4/2017
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 4 months ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

Some installation have the ground attached to a metal box by the cable or conduit connector and do not have a ground wire in the box. In that case you need to attach the ground to the box. In the back of the box there is a threaded screw hole for that purpose.

Thank you. If there wasn't a screw back there, should I just remove the ground wire on the switch? or just tape it with electrical tape? Is there any risk in that?

Didn't say there was a screw. Said there was a threaded hole for a ground screw. At least, remove the paper holds on the 6/32 screws so the yoke of the device contacts the box and tape the ground wire.

Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician