Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have a westinghouse 1/2 hp 1725 rpm 115v 8.7a (single

Customer Question
I have a westinghouse...

I have a westinghouse 1/2 hp 1725 rpm 115v 8.7a (single phase) type FT code M series A motor, ser.# 317P434 off of a Sears Lifestyler treadmill. Wondering if I can reverse rotation for a different application?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

3 weeks

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Other westinghouse motors indicate that reversing red & black wires on terminals #2 & #4 will reverse direction of rotation. The "board" on this motor has a terminal 4 indicated with a red wire on a spade terminal, and a black wire on a spade terminal on the edge of the board (no # near it). Both of these wires are hooked to a tangle of red and black wires going to the start & run caps. swapping the wires does not reverse the motor.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Electrical
12/3/2017
Electrician: Sam I, Electrician replied 4 months ago
Sam I
Sam I, Electrician
Hello, it might be possible. Can you upload a pic of the motor wiring and motor data plate?
Here are the pictures: 510 is the external sticker; 511 & 512 show the crowded top of the board; 514 has most of the incoming wires out of the way, the black wire hooked via spade terminal at the center ("position #4" on the board) originally had the red wire with a spade terminal (see next picture) hooked up in this position; 515 shows the red wire with spade terminal in the center opening near the edge of the board (hooked where the black wire in the previous picture was originally hooked); 516 is a slightly different angle of the previous picture (obscured by motor housing); 518 gives another view of the board and area where the obstructed connection is.
When powering up the motor in this configuration, it runs slower and hums a little, but still turns the same direction. Hopethis is a little clearer than mud!
IMG_0510.JPGIMG_0510.JPGIMG_0511.JPGIMG_0511.JPGIMG_0512.JPGIMG_0512.JPGIMG_0514.JPGIMG_0514.JPGIMG_0515.JPGIMG_0515.JPGIMG_0516.JPGIMG_0516.JPGIMG_0518.JPGIMG_0518.JPG

I can't really make out anything from these pictures. If you could identify which wires/terminals go to the capacitor, a motor is usually reversed by swapping the "polarity" of the starting circuit, which is the capacitor and its associated start coil. It really depends on the internals of the motor though.

Any luck?
Sam I
Sam I
Sam I, Electrician