Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

A portion of our house has dim lights that dim to a greater…

Customer Question
Hello - a portion...

Hello - a portion of our house has dim lights that dim to a greater degree as additional load is put on the circuit. This just began. Any ideas? Breaker?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

2 hours

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If possible. Its dark. Saturdday night no electrician answers the phone

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Well how about that first question

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Electrical
12/3/2017
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 4 months ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Dimming lights indicate a loose neutral wire termination or a faulty neutral splice on the circuit. If the light are dimming on 1 or 2 circuits, then it is a circuit issue. The faulty connection can reside anywhere from the electrical panel to the downstream boxes on the circuit. Isolation and troubleshooting will be required to correct the problem.

2) If the entire home has dimming lights, then the problem is a neutral issue either with the local electrical utility or at the exterior meter socket or at the main electrical panel.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Does this help to answer your question?

Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor