Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Lets see. I have an existing ceiling fan with light. I also…

Customer Question
Lets see. I...

Lets see. I have an existing ceiling fan with light. I also have 3 sets of wires in the wall outlet. Two are grey,black and copper. The other red, black, grey and copper. The red controls the light.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

First time

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Electrical
12/2/2017
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 7 months ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

You told me what you have but not what the question is.

sorry....the current installation isn't correct. Turning on/off the switch turns on and off both the light and fan. I would like the fan to be controlled by the fan pull cord on the fan and only the light turned on/off by the wall switch

In the canopy you'll find that there are 3 wires from the fan. The black wire is for the fan. Remove its connection to the red house wire and connect it to a connection of the blacks in the box

the current installation has the red wire not connected, 2 blacks in the top part of the switch and 1 black in the bottom. That configuration doesn't work. If I connect the black from the fan and connect it to the black to the wall, won't the wall switch controll both the light and fan?

You said that the red controlled the light in your description. I gave connection in the ceiling box not the switch box based on your statement.