Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I purchased the Panasonic bathroom vent and fan unit (no…

Customer Question
I purchased the Panasonic...

I purchased the Panasonic bathroom vent and fan unit (no light) FV-11VH2. Now I need a controller for the unit. Will the Panasonic FV-WCD02-W work for that? I very much like the preset timers for the vent fan unit. I am wondering if the switch that is part to of the unit will work for turning the heater on and off?

Contractor's Assistant: How long have you had your FV-WCD02-W?

30 days

Contractor's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Panasonic product?

Nothing. just installing now

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Electrical
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/1/2017
Electrician: David Bowden, Electrician replied 6 months ago
David Bowden
David Bowden, Electrician

Hello… My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today as well as providing a quick and straightforward solution to your bathroom fan question. On behalf of Just Answer, I do apologize for the extended wait time you’ve experienced without an expert responding to your question. Now that I am logged on, please allow me a few moments for some research and to confirm my recommendations, which will appear shortly.

In the meantime, if you have any more information you would like to add, ask additional questions, would like to make a comment, or would like to upload helpful photos, please use the reply box below. Thank you!

The Panasonic FVWCD02W preset countdown on/off/light delay timer switch is for the WhisperControl line of ventilation fans. It allows for wall control over the ventilation and light system. It can set an hourly timer to ensure that the fan is not left on by accident. This model is in white and comes with a matching white wall plate. ​ Therefore it will work with the FV-11VH2 fan unit.

My question was not about the fan unit. The switch obviously works for that. My question was not about the light. My unit has NO light. The issue and question is the heater unit. Does panasonic have a single gang controller that has a timer for the vent fan and a switch for the heater?

Y​es you can install a single gang stack switch 1 for the heater and 1 for the fan. Here is a link to the manual for reference and if you look on page 7 it gives you fan, heater, and light controller options. Since you have no light you would just need the single gang stack switch for the fan and heater.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Panasonic-WhisperWarm-110-CFM-Ceiling-Exhaust-Bath-Fan-with-Light-and-Heater-FV-11VHL2/203762030

Does that fan switch have a timer or presets?

Switch FV-WCD02-W​ does not have presets and this specific switch is strictly for lights and fan, not for fan and heater. I recommend looking for another switch by Panasonic that will accept the heater since it has a high amount of resistance.

​Panasonic FV-WCSW21-W should work for the fan and heater combination

Let me try again. Is there a single gang switch that has timer or timer presets for a vent fan AND an on/off switch for a heater?

I have been trying to answer your specific questions and have been providing helpful information. Here is a link to the FV-WCSW21 switch manual (click on manuals to access a very informative multiple switch data chart) this chart gives several choices on what the switches are rated for. The switch you inquired about is not for a heater it is for lights and a fan. The switch I believe will work for you is the FV-WCSW21. There is also a 3 position single gang switch that will work with a fan, light, and heater, but since you do not have a light, I do not believe this switch will help you since 1 of the 3 switches will be inoperative, unless you don't mind it and maybe later you might want to have a light.

https://www.ecomfort.com/Panasonic-Ventilation-FV-WCSW21-W/p32053.html

T​he FV-WCSW21 switch is strictly on/off there are not timers or presets. If you are looking for a switch that will control the heater and fan with timer functions or preset times, you will need to find a different switch as I do not believe Panasonic has one available.

A​ll the switches I have been looking at does not allow for a single gang timer switch for a fan and a separate on/off switch for a heater. Based on that information, I believe the only solution is for a 2 gang switch with independent controls for you're specific application. 1 on/off switch for the heater and 1 timer (preset or countdown) switch.

Panasonic sells a heater and vent unit and heater, vent, light unit but not a single controller that will allow timers for the vent and an on off switch for the heater. That is disappointing so say the least and something that should have been disclosed in the literature of the vent/heater unit. I think we are done here.