Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

What would cause an electrical circuit to work and then not…

Customer Question
What would cause an...

What would cause an electrical circuit to work and then not work but doesn't set off the circuit breaker?

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?

40 years

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes if i can

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Electrical
11/30/2017
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 7 months ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Either loose wire terminations or a faulty splice. Back-stabbed devices are known for wires coming loose on switches and/or receptacles.

2) A multimeter is required to check voltages and confirm if the problem is a hot wire or a neutral wire issue. Once you identify the wire cause, now you know what to look for when troubleshooting.

Whats aback-stabbed device and what is a multimeter?

1) Shown in the link below is a multimeter:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-Manual-Ranging-Digital-Multi-Meter-MS8301A/206177756

2) Shown in the picture below is an example of a back-stab wired receptacle. Wires should always terminate to the device side screws and never to the back-stab insert holes as they are prone to come loose and fail over time. Some wall switches are also back-stabbed.

Does that help to answer your questions?

No thANKS

What you mean by "No Thanks"?

I DON'T WANT TO PAY 24$ FOR MORE ANSWERS.

OK, I have opted out of the question.