Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

GFCI outlet tripped during the night and is not allowing me…

Customer Question
GFCI outlet tripped during...

GFCI outlet tripped during the night and is not allowing me to reset--what can I do to fix?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

THe outlet tripped sometime just last night as I was asleep, I've tried several times to reset this morning with no success so far.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I would like to get it resolved myself if possible, I do have a good general contractor who I can call if need be.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Just would like to get this reset, this outlet is on a breaker that controls my irrigation system.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Electrical
11/29/2017
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 7 months ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Is this the only receptacle that is protected by the GFCI or are there other receptacles on the same circuit?

2) Have you un-plugged all other cord & plug loads on the circuit and see if the GFCI will reset under a "no load" condition?

This receptacle protects a downstairs bathroom. my master bath, and my backyard irrigation system--I'll try unplugging my electric toothbrush now, that's the only thing currently plugged in.
I tried resetting after unplugging the eclectric toothbrush, still no luck, I will try contacting my dad and my general contractor, between them, I hope to get an answer

Thanks for the replies.

1) Temporarily kill power to the circuit breaker and back the GFCI out from the wall box. Remove the LOAD side wires from the GFCI and then restore power to the breaker. Does the GFCI still trip without the LOAD wires terminated to the GFCI?

2) Do you have a multimeter to confirm that the LINE side of the GFCI has 120 volts?

1) If the GFCI works when the LOAD wires are disconnected, then there is a ground fault at one of the downstream receptacles.

2) The GFCI requires 120 volts on the LINE side. If no 120 volts at the LINE side, then the problem is upstream of the GFCI.

3) If the LINE side measures 120 volts when the LOAD wires are disconnected and the GFCI does not work, the GFCI is defective and needs to be replaced.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)