Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have a smith + Jones compressor motor. I need to know how…

Customer Question
I have a smith +...
I have a smith + Jones compressor motor. I need to know how to wire it for 230v. It is model number D56 3S2C. I'm wiring it for 3hp compressor option CCW.
I have 4 wires coming out of motor.
T1
T4
T5
T8
How do I wire this to my pressure switch?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Electrical
11/29/2017
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 7 months ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

T1 & T4 connect each to a pole. T5 & T8 determine direction depending on the pole attached to. Put each on a pole and bump the motor to check rotation. If not CCW reverse the connections on T5 & T8.

By pole you mean power?
Currently T4 & T5 are wired together. And T8 & T1 are wired together. That's the way it came brand new. So what wires do I connect to hot?

The pressure switch has 4 poles, 2 in and 2 out. A pole is one terminal on the switch and the second is on the same end. That is where you connect the 240V incoming. On the other end is where you are connecting the motor wires. 1&4 to one to each termination and 5&8 to the same. If the motor rotation is correct you're done. If not switch 5&8 wire positions.

OK, let me make this simpler for me. I'm going to wire directly to the motor. I understand the pressure switch, just not the motor. So what wires do I combine to what?

1&8 to one pole, 4&5 to the other.

OK, that is going the wrong direction. That is spinning CW

Swap the connections on 5&8.